Sunday 2 March 2014

Forecasting life after college

First two paragraphs of this post are very general in nature. Obviously, outliers exist that don't fit this description. Personal views third para onwards.

Technically, it wouldn't be fair to forecast life after college as we all know, its a great shock and equations alter significantly. But I am referring my predictions on interactions, observations and literature (source: Quora) of the alumni. And even though we can always bullshit about the ideals of individuality, harsh truth remains almost everyone gets institutionalized willingly or unwillingly. Right from the time we enter these much-hyped residential campuses, our habits start converging - from GPLs to those panic driven 'one night stands' during exams (for the uninformed, that's the max action you can expect in one night stands at our campuses) to insane puke-filled nightouts, we all follow similar trends. Our trajectories are pretty similar even before entering college, in spite of very different histories. Class toppers, teacher's favorite, revered by juniors, you pretty much get the idea. So, yes alumni can be a decent proxy.

Here's my projection of life few years down the time. You have a stable job in your hand. Either after a MBA from IIM or MS or scraping experience from job(s). Money would be good, but might be less than personal, parental and societal expectations. Things like CPI are statistically insignificant now. You are married to a pretty lady your parents scouted for you or are in a relationship which is still a big deal among your friends (well, some things probably never change). A vast majority of your social circle still revolves around your college friends. You meet them over a beer almost every weekend. You come back to college once in a while and drench yourself in nostalgia. Supervisors have replaced professors but well, juniors are still juniors. No longer are profanities so common and finally you have mastered the MS Office point lingering in your resume since high school. Formal pants now dominate your wardrobe. Fine dining is no longer a taboo and saal mai ek vacation toh banta hai boss! Overall, life is peaceful.

And that's what I dread. A peaceful but mundane life. Not that I detest the mentioned pleasures but there would be something lacking. I have always dreamt of a life fueled by excitement and passion. Something that a regular 9 to 5 job fails to provide. And that seems increasingly likely that I will end up in one with the way I am progressing in my career. My college days have made me realistic enough to realize I am not one of those outliers to easily break free from the highly probable lifestyle. But I need to. If not the easy way, then by some other way. I so need to find a direction to live not only peaceful but also purposeful life. I have no idea how would I find my answers. People tell me everyone goes through this phase and one should not take drastic steps while in this stage. Sounds rational enough. But rational thinking also handicaps us to utilize the amazing potential trapped in 'leap of faith'. Sometimes, it is important to trust our guts and that's exactly how I aim to find my answers. Sounds vague and emotion-driven, right? And I have made a right start. This is something new for me. Here's to the new beginnings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment